Friday, May 13, 2005

Battey Withdraws

NIH stem cell chief Jim Battey has withdrawn from consideration as the new president of the California stem cell agency, according to a usually reliable source.

Battey earlier disclosed his retirement in September from NIH and the plans to seek the CIRM position. He said he was leaving the NIH because of new conflict of interest standards at the federal body. He said, "I manage a family trust...which supports the education of my father's seven grandchildren, and it contains assets I'm told I'd have to divest. That would cost a lot of money, and I can't do that to my family.”

We have sent an e-mail to Battey asking him for comment on the report that he has withdrawn.

For more on Battey, see "Conundrums of Conflict" April 11 on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog